Empathy seems to be the building block of positivity on any level of human relationships. Think of friendships, families, work relations, communities, countries, and the world as a whole.
Empathy is not about feeling sympathy for others, but rather about moving out of the zoomed-in perspective of our lives that we tend to have. It is ultimately about reaching a level of consciousness of the mind and soul that allows us to be positive contributors to the lives of others. It is about touching the soul of another person with the little gestures that we will only be capable of doing once we attempt to understand perspectives other than our own.
With that in mind, here’s a glimpse of the world through the eyes of myself and several others. Let yourself be transported into worlds different than your own, yet also all the exact same world:
- A bullied kid playing alone in a playground somewhere
- A family sitting together eating their favorite cake and being grateful for the blessing
- An insecure, fragile woman staring at her reflection in a mirror somewhere
- A worried father, somewhere in the world, waiting for his child to come home
- Someone working in a foreign country calling their family back home to wish them happy holidays
- A girl looking through old books at a library somewhere
- A homeless person sleeping on the sidewalk somewhere waiting for his life to change
- A couple spending their honeymoon on an island somewhere
- Someone embracing the beauty of words at a spoken poetry night
- A father trying to make things right with his wife and kids
- Someone sitting alone on a table for two, laughing
- Someone feeding the birds under the Eiffel Tower
- People praying at the Holy Ka’aba
- Someone volunteering in a very cold place, helping others and feeling very happy
- People living in a refugee camp trying to survive
- A man playing the guitar on the streets of Italy and being tipped by passersby
Pain and suffering, love and affection, happiness and sadness, and also, just pure quirkiness. All of those were the thoughts and emotions going on around us in the world, and inside every one of us.
I’d like to leave you with a quote by Rumi: “You are not a drop in the ocean, you are the ocean in a drop.”
May we all be guided to spread positivity, goodness, and empathy in a world that needs it more than ever before.